Brawl sparks debate over safety

Image: File photo.
Image: File photo.

Police are investigating the large brawl on March 2, which left a 15-year-old with severe head injuries.

Kensington detectives said the brawl began at the back of JCS Motorcycles on Great Eastern Highway about 6.30am and involved at least 20 youths, some reportedly as young as seven years old.

During last week’s Victoria Park agenda briefing, councillor Mark Windram described the incident as ‘horrible because it was literally so close to home’.

‘This type of behaviour needs to be stamped out and it is frightening these incidents are happening,’ he said.

In the lead-up to last year’s federal election, Town of Victoria Park was granted $100,000 for extensive upgrades to street lighting for various parts of the municipality by the then Federal Government.

After the election, the Town was advised the new Federal Government would not allocate funding for the project.

Swan MHR Steve Irons said he would lobby the Federal Government for funding.

‘I met with Justice Minister Michael Keenan last November to specifically discuss ongoing options for the Town of Victoria Park on security funding,’ he said.

‘I will encourage the Town to apply to the next round of the Safer Streets Program and am confident funding can be found.’

Mayor Trevor Vaughan said the Town was working with police and Public Transit Authority to improve safety around the Burswood industrial district, Burswood train station and Red Castle Hotel.

Kensington Police Sergeant Roy George said the Burswood precinct was ‘active 24 hours a day’.

‘There’s always potential for incidents but our officers police Burswood well, do a lot of footwork and work closely with Crown Perth and local businesses. Increasing street lighting and cutting trees and bushes are good safety measures but need funding.’