Extended ferry runs likely to return

Ferry pulling into Mends Street Jetty.
Ferry pulling into Mends Street Jetty.

No decision to continue the service has been made, but South Perth MLA John McGrath said he was ‘fairly confident’ it wouldbe back next summer.

The trial, which extended services by three hours each day and by an hour on Sundays, was held from December 16 and concluded last Tuesday.

It added six return trips a day to the timetable and saw more than 450 return trips operate from Perth to South Perth.

Public Transport Authority spokesman David Hynes said the trial was carried out in response to requests from the South Perth community.

‘We are now collating and analysing data from the trial,’ he said. ‘No decision has been made as to whether the extended services will proceed next summer.’

Mr McGrath said all the feedback he had received had been positive.

‘People seem to really appreciate the later service during the summer months, especially on weekends, and believe it should continue next summer,’ he said.

He added that he had suggested to the Transport Minister that an extension of an hour on Friday and Saturday nights during winter should be looked at.

‘I am still confident that once the Elizabeth Quay development is up and running the Mends Street service will become even more popular,’ he said.

City of South Perth Mayor Sue Doherty said she hoped the trial continued.

‘An expansion of the existing ferry services to other locations and a permanent extension of the operating hours of the service to South Perth would coincide with the completion of Elizabeth Quay,’ she said.