For the 2014-15 financial year, the Town has accepted a $66,200 grant from Main Roads WA and will receive $671,393 in Metropolitan Regional Road Group Funding (MRRGF) to help it resurface several high traffic volume roads in the area.
Funding approval is subject to the Town contributing at least a third of project costs, or $335,607, and several roads scheduled for resurfacing are along or intersect with Albany Highway.
A report approved by the Town’s acting Renew Life Director, Warren Bow, said the Town had been spending less than $2 million a year over the past few years on road renewal.
It was critical the Town spent about $1.4 million on resurfacing residential streets that did not qualify for MRRGF, and to invest about $400,000 a year to secure the funding.
If neglected, once roads reached 20 to 35 years of age, it would cost the Town many times more to construct them than regular resurfacing.
Roads for resurfacing
MRRG-funded high traffic volume roads:
– Albany Hwy (Dane St to Canterbury Tce) ” $74,784
– Hillview Tce (Burlington St to Albany Hwy) ” $237,113
– Swansea St East (Forward St to Welshpool Rd) ” $161,253
– Hayman Rd (Hillview Tce to Adie Crt) ” $212,988
– Duncan St (Albany Hwy to Sunbury Rd ” subject to further review ” $246,634
Town-funded local streets:
– Geddes St (Berwick to Gloucester St) ” $86,000
– Carnarvon St (Mint to Lakeview St) ” $62,000
– Harvey St (Shepperton Rd to Howick St) ” $122,900
– Egham Rd (Burswood Rd to Kitchener Ave) ” $75,000
– Turner Ave roundabout ” $45,000