WA will soon become an Australian leader – in road congestion.
Infrastructure Australia has released a list of the roads predicted to be the country’s busiest by 2031, and metropolitan Perth is, if you’ll pardon the pun, streets ahead.
Seven out of the 10 busiest roads will be ours, with Perth roads taking the top four places on the list.
Mitchell Freeway is tipped to be the nation’s busiest, followed by Tonkin Highway then the Graham Farmer Freeway/Orrong Road/Welshpool Road East corridor.
The Marmion Avenue/West Coast Highway arterial is fourth on the list.
Wanneroo Road comes in at number six, with Leach Highway eighth and Roe Highway ninth.
An RAC analysis of Main Roads data has also revealed the 20 most congested intersections in the state.
The RAC’s general manager of corporate affairs Will Golsby said only eight of the 20 congestion hot spots were undergoing works to improve them, and called on the government to do more.
“The Bentley/Welshpool area currently has two of the most congested intersections in in the city – including the number one most congested intersection in Perth,” Mr Golsby said.
“That same area will also be home to two of the most congested roads in Australia in just 15 years’ time.
“The Joondalup/Wanneroo area currently has three of the most congested intersections in Perth, and will also be home to three of the most congested roads in the country in 15 years.
“Western Australians living in these northern and eastern suburbs currently spend the most amount of time sitting in traffic, and unfortunately, there is no end in sight for them.
“Residents in these areas will find themselves spending more and more time commuting, which means more time away from their families, their friends and their hobbies.
“Congestion can have a huge personal impact, including time getting to and from work, and that time could be better spent with families, at the gym, learning a language or enjoying a hobby.
“As we head in to an election in March 2017, now is time for Western Australians to tell their State candidates how congestion is affecting them and how it will impact them in the future.
“The Government and the opposition must focus on transport projects that will improve our State’s congestion crisis and give Western Australians their time back.”
Our most congested intersections are listed below:
1. Leach Highway/Welshpool Road – Bentley
2. Graham Farmer Freeway/East Parade – East Perth
3. Tonkin Highway/Collier Road – Bayswater
4. Tonkin Highway/Morley Drive – Morley
5. Leach Highway/Manning Road – Bentley
6. Great Eastern Highway/Tonkin Highway/Brearley Avenue – Ascot/Redcliffe
7. Armadale Road/Kwinana Freeway/ Beeliar Drive – Cockburn
8. Joondalup Drive/Wanneroo Road – Tapping
9. Wanneroo Road/Ocean Reef Road – Wanneroo
10. Great Eastern Highway/Orrong Road – Burswood/Rivervale
11. Mitchell Freeway/Hutton Street – Osborne Park
12. Tonkin Highway/Welshpool Road – Wattle Grove
13. Wanneroo Road/Morley Drive – Tuart Hill/Nollamara
14. South Street/North Lake Road – Kardinya
15. Mitchell Freeway/Southport Street – West Leederville
16. Stock Road/South Street – Hilton/Samson
17. Leach Highway/Stock Road – Palmyra/Melville/Willagee
18. Marmion Avenue/Hepburn Avenue – Sorrento/Hillarys/Duncraig
19. Canning Highway/Kwinana Freeway – Applecross/Como
20. Graham Farmer Freeway/Loftus Street/Leederville Parade – West Perth