WA Police have confirmed the drug that caused nine people to overdose at a Victoria Park house earlier this week was the prescription drug hyoscine.
Police say that it was the only identifiable drug detected in the samples tested from the Colombo Street property.
Acting Deputy Commissioner Gary Budge said the incident was a sobering reminder that people taking unknown substances, be they illicit or prescription drugs, are seriously risking their health and wellbeing.
“Had it not been for the early 000 call and medical intervention on Tuesday night the consequences could have be much worse than they were,” he said.
The police investigation into the source of the drugs is continuing.
Royal Perth Hospital emergency physician David McCutcheon said three of the people that came to the hospital were in a state of “agitated delirium” and were hallucinating.
“It was very lucky that there was someone on scene who could call an ambulance because otherwise their lives would have been put in danger,” he said.