Proposal up before panel

An artist’s impression of the $30m apartment complex proposed for the derelict Red Castle site along Great Eastern Highway.
An artist’s impression of the $30m apartment complex proposed for the derelict Red Castle site along Great Eastern Highway.

Perth-based Campion Design Group applied to the Town of Victoria Park to construct a seven-storey, 141-apartment complex in August on behalf of owners Finetune Investments and a month-long public submission period closed last Wednesday.

Handle Property Group Project Manager Gary Lee said the project was being marketed locally, nationally and internationally and to date, local buyers had made a majority of offers on the one and two-bedroom units. As of late last week, the project website showed that 19 units were under offer, even before approval had been granted.

‘Pre-sales and offers to purchase are being completed in the normal way and consistent with senior legal advice which is that all contracts are void and full refunds made if the project is not approved by relevant authorities or if it is substantially changed,’ Mr Lee said.

‘Of course, there is full disclosure at all times, including about the progress of the application and that the proposed development is subject to final approval by DAP.’

But the project has drawn criticism from neighbouring Midgley Street residents Kim and Ramona Elliott who say the proposal is non-compliant with several council regulations.

‘The density is over double that of council’s existing R60 residential, the plot ratio is almost 25 per cent higher than is permitted and development of the site should be limited to three storeys,’ they said.

Town of Victoria Park chief executive Arthur Kyron confirmed that the proposal sought variations to several council planning requirements, most significantly in the areas of building height and plot ratio.

‘These variations have been advertised for public comment to Lathlain residents during the consultation phase,’ Mr Kyron said.

‘The Town has received about 20 submissions and a number of petitions in response to the proposal.’

Council wrote to nearly 200 nearby residents about the proposal which Mr Lee said would have an average 4.5 storey height, as it had a stepped transition in height from two to seven storeys.

‘A very big majority of those living in the priority area (and adjacent to it) have expressed their support in writing for development of the site. Very few residents opposed the development of the site,’ Mr Lee said.