TO NAME a train station Belmont when it is actually being built in Redcliffe, some 6km away from the present administrative and commercial hub of Belmont, will not only be confusing to the travelling public but an insult to the citizens, and to the rich social history of Redcliffe.
For Mayor and East Ward Councillor Phil Marks, in answer to questions in Council, to say “it was a State Government decision” is, to the citizens of Redcliffe, a cop-out.
Surely the purpose of a place name is to evoke a memory of the natural, social and cultural history of that place and of the peoples of that place.
Councillors, it surely is your duty to protect that history.
In 1829 red (clay) cliffs were a landmark for colonists from their boats, vital first transport for the fledgling Swan River colony along first Derbarl Yerrigan, then the Swan River.
Capt Mark Currie’s red clay brick house was fired from those same red clays and named Red Cliff (built on present day Garvey Park). It was lost to fire in 1833.
Residents of Redcliffe are set to lose much of their peaceful amenity during the four years of construction of the train station in their community.
For the historic place name Redcliffe to become their train station name is scant compensation.
Chairperson, Belmont Residents Ratepayers Action Group Redcliffe