Inglewood high rise proposal ‘misses the mark’


Dominique Beral and Louise Cartledge with other concerned residents. Picture: Andrew Ritchie        www.communitypix.com.au   d463108
Dominique Beral and Louise Cartledge with other concerned residents. Picture: Andrew Ritchie        www.communitypix.com.au d463108

INGLEWOOD residents have gathered in opposition to an “excessive” six-storey development on the corner of Eighth Avenue and Beaufort Street, neighbouring the heritage-listed police station.

Inglewood resident Roger Hill said locals would welcome a “well-designed” mixed use development but the current plan “missed the mark”

“This proposal falls considerably short of the ideal, being of a height and scale that is incompatible with its location,” he said.

“The development fails to provide sufficient practical and usable car parking spaces.

“They should contribute to traffic management measures that restrict traffic generated by the development from filtering through Eighth and Ninth avenues, which are residential streets.”

However, project architect Kim Doepel said the plans had been amended twice to address concerns of residents.

“The owner has agreed to the increase the lane width by one metre and another metre for landscaping,” he said. “It is time the authorities started to listen and approve projects like this for the many, instead of the one or two selfish nimbys who try and dictate outcomes against the majority.”

MORE: Mt Hawthorn and Inglewood primary upgrades and expansion prove divisive

Mr Doepel said parking complied with the requirements and two heritage buildings were to be retained.

“The owner is disappointed that despite accommodating the comments from the four residents, they are still trying to deny others from living in Inglewood and enjoying the benefits that this proposal can bring to everyone: more employment, more amenity and more exciting streetscape,” he said.

Resident Jo Francesca said the key issue with the development was the building height, which would “tower” over two heritage protected buildings.

“In the third version of this development, the building is now taller than in previous plans, standing at six storeys with the inclusion of a seventh level sky garden,” she said.

Residents were also concerned about the City of Stirling’s public comment period ending on the same day the City had to provide feedback to the Development Assessment Panel (JDAP).

Stirling approvals manager Greg Bowering said the City had not been given adequate time to complete the consultation process but would put the additional comments to the JDAP before it discussed the application on December 16.

Mr Bowering said the City had initially refused to the development application last year because some criteria did not comply.