The jetty, which was destroyed in 1977 and rebuilt as a 12-metre fishing platform by the City of Stirling, had been the subject of debate over the last fortnight after a rally was held campaigning for it to be restored to its original 70-metre length.
But at Stirling Council’s meeting last Tuesday night, Scarborough councillor Bill Stewart was successful in putting forward a motion of notice that a report into the jetty not be prepared.
Mr Stewart based his motion on the belief that the Department of Transport, rather than the City of Stirling, would be responsible for any extension of the jetty, and the location and level of access available to people with disabilities was inappropriate. The debate over who was responsible for an extension had been going back and forth, with Carine MLA Tony Krsticevic maintaining it was the City’s responsibility.
The City acknowledged it held the licence for the jetty, but maintained the licence gave responsibility for the structure as it stood today.
Regardless of whose responsibility it was, Mayor David Boothman said spending money on extending the jetty was simply not a good idea.
‘It’s not about who should be paying for an extension to the existing jetty,’ he said.
‘Bottom line, any extension is simply not a good idea due to the location being far too exposed to wild climatic conditions and far too expensive to extend.
‘This is in addition to technical advice that the location is too steep for disability compliance and vehicle access.’