Local wins naming rights for Robinson Reserve cows

Katie Cerin with Olive and Daisy at Robinson Reserve. Photo: Michael Gill
Katie Cerin with Olive and Daisy at Robinson Reserve. Photo: Michael Gill

TWO dairy cows have made themselves at home in Tuart Hill.

The statues of a Holstein cow and her calf have been unveiled at Robinson Reserve to mark completion of stage one of the park redevelopment.

Cows were chosen to honour the reserve’s namesake William Edward Robinson, who established his dairy farm at the site in 1905 and pay homage to its history of hosting the Osborne Park Agricultural Society’s annual Osborne Park Show.

Perth artist Mehdi Rasulle created the statues from concrete and steel, which aim to welcome visitors to the public space.

Long-time Osborne Park resident Katie Cerin named the cows Olive and Daisy, after being chosen through a City of Stirling competition and public voting.

The Osborne Park Primary School education assistant said inspiration for the names came from her childhood as she grew up in Osborne Park surrounded by olive trees and market gardens where her Croatian grandmother worked.

Sports minister Mick Murray, Balcatta MLA David Michael and Stirling mayor Mark Irwin at Robinson Reserve.

Sport and Recreation Minister Mick Murray helped officially open the first stage of the nearly $4 million redevelopment with Balcatta MLA David Michael and Stirling Mayor Mark Irwin.

Upgrades include a playground, barbecue facilities, scooter and skate area, path network, carpark, accessible toilet and nearly 120 trees planted.

The second stage of the redevelopment will see improvements to sports clubrooms and changerooms.

More news

Wine festival finds new home on Perth coast

Food trucks coming to Floreat