Mal’z Deli: demolition delay with injunction in deli protest


Simon Mackenzie on the Mal’z Cafe rooftop.
Simon Mackenzie on the Mal’z Cafe rooftop.

DEMOLITION work has stopped at Mal’z Deli in Scarborough, with the saga at the centre of a hearing today.

The State Administrative Tribunal (SAT) granted a temporary injunction to stop all site works.

Owner Simon Mackenzie spent several nights on the roof of the deli as part of a four-day standoff against developer Psaros.

As of Friday, Mr Mackenzie said no Psaros representative had come to speak to him.

Mr Mackenzie hung a banner off the roof that read ‘Danny Psaros come chat’ and said Mr Psaros did attend the site on Tuesday.

“Danny came down but did not get out of the car and then he sent his lawyer to speak to me,” he said.

Psaros hit out against Mr Mackenzie, saying a protest on top of the roof jeopardised the safety of staff and residents.

A Psaros spokeswoman said Mal’z owners Janina Groger and Mr Mackenzie had no right to access a house at the back of the shop as they did not lease it.

Mr Mackenzie said Psaros sent 13 security guards to the site on Tuesday and claimed it was “lying” about him threatening site workers.

“(It is) complete lies, I’ve got nothing against the workers; the workers even come up and say ‘sorry mate but we’re here to do a job’,” he said.

“They have misconstrued this. I’ve turned around and said I know you’re here just to do a job but if anyone steps on to my property I will use any force necessary to repel it.

“There were 13 security guards and police; I’m just a skinny little Indian guy.

“One of these guys was three times the size of me, they didn’t need that.”

Psaros defended the decision to hire security guards when the roof was removed from the site last week.