Stirling mayor dismisses claims City could have done more to stop development of Doubleview Oval

Save Doubleview Oval members and residents gathered at John K Lyons Oval recently.
Save Doubleview Oval members and residents gathered at John K Lyons Oval recently.

STIRLING Mayor Giovanni Italiano has hit back at claims the City could have intervened in the development of Doubleview Oval.

Concerned residents from the Save Doubleview Oval group questioned the mayor, chief executive Stuart Jardine and directors at Tuesday’s council meeting.

Residents were concerned about the loss of green space with works beginning last week at JK Lyons Reserve to accommodate the International School of WA and Doubleview Primary School refurbishments.

Education Minister Peter Collier announced in September the International School of Western Australia would be relocating to the site in 2019 and sharing the land with a new $15 million primary school.

MORE: Alfred Cove Wave Park lease to be drawn up after Melville councillors approve

MORE: Perth Modern School parents give Labor plan to relocate low grade

MORE: Cockburn and Melville mayors trade blows in Roe row

Resident Vivian Damon said it was “absolutely appalling” that the students and residents would lose their green space and established tuart trees in the area.

Cr Italiano said both he and Cr David Boothman had voted against the plan to redevelop the oval at a Joint Development Assessment Panel meeting in January but were outvoted 3-1.

“This is out of the City’s hands…I’ve written to the Premier outlining the concerns, I can’t break his arm,” he said, a comment which was later retracted following advice from Mr Jardine.

“That is the final word on this, the City of Stirling had no jurisdiction here, people need to take their arguments to the WA Planning Commission.”

Resident Shelley Johnson questioned whether the City had the opportunity to object when the project was in the earlier stages and called Cr Italiano a “bully” to the crowd.