ARSON squad police are investigating a fire on Shaw Road Innaloo after a house was destroyed in suspicious circumstances.
A 61-year-old man was lucky to escape the fire with his dog.
Police said the fire began around 3.30am when a flammable liquid was lit and placed at the front door of the house.
The 61-year-old resident heard a noise and opened the front door to see the fire.
He ran from the house and called emergency services. Neighbours helped rescue the man’s dog.
The man was taken to hospital for smoke inhalation and shock.
Acting Detective Sergeant Shannon Stubbs spoke to media at the address and said it is unclear if it was a targeted attack.
Sgt Stubbs said the 61-year-old gave police some information at the scene.
He added that a lot of people were awake at 3.30am and urged anyone with information to come forward.
About 80 per cent of the home the man has lived in for 20 years was destroyed.
The arson squad will continue the investigation over the coming week.