Content submission rules
- You are responsible and accountable for what you post on the site. Don’t publish anything you are not prepared to stand by.
- If you post an item you must be prepared for others to comment on it.
- If you voice an opinion it should be constructive, not vindictive or malicious.
- Do not use the site to defame individuals or businesses. You can make comments and write reviews but you must do it with respect for the feelings of others and the laws of defamation.
- Do not submit the same item multiple times. Otherwise we will have to remove it.
- Don’t be verbose. Get to the point quickly and don’t write an epic.
- Check your facts and always tell the truth. Poorly-researched information or falsehoods only undermine the value of the site.
- Anything indecent, vulgar, sexually explicit, blasphemous, racist, generally inappropriate, defamatory, demonstrably wrong or plain bad is not allowed on the site and will be blocked or removed.
- The owners and editors of communitynews.com.au are not responsible or liable for anything posted on the site. By joining the site and posting material, members accept responsibility for the material they post.
- By posting material on the site, members agree that communitynews.com.au and its affiliated companies will hold copyright on the material for all electronic uses or for use in print publications and marketing provided it is used in an appropriate context.
- Interacting on communitynews.com.au should be viewed as a chat in the street with other locals or, in some cases, a lively public meeting. Don’t take it too seriously.
- The Web Site is provided as a local community hub for interaction between friends, family, neighbours and other members of the community. Content is to be respectful of the Web Site community and appropriate for a diverse readership.
- Use your own judgement when reading the recommendations of others. Just because a member recommends something does not mean it is endorsed by communitynews.com.au
- Can U Help and Public notices are for personal use by individuals only. They are not to be used for business purposes.
- Don’t publish the personal information of other people unless you have their permission.
- If you find something on the site you think should not be there, let us know IMMEDIATELY using the Contact Us email.
- You can post a press release but only if it is local and appropriate.
- Do not post information or pictures if you don’t hold the copyright.
- You will provide and/or procure on behalf of yourself and us all proper licences, clearances, permissions and/or releases in writing in respect of any content you post to the Web Site so that we are vested with an irrevocable non-exclusive, transferable and royalty-free right to exploit the content you post to the Web Site.
- Do not impersonate someone else. You can “live” on the site under a pseudonym but not as another real person.
- By submitting content, you give us permission to publish it and for others to comment on it.
- The editors reserve the right to reject or remove any content that does not adhere to these rules and terminate the membership of anyone who breaks them.
- You will not use the username and password of another registered member at any time, disclose your username and/or password to any third party and/or permit any third party to access the Web Site as a registered member using your username and password.
- By joining communitynews.com.au you agree to abide by all these rules and be totally responsible for material you post on the site.
We do not accept responsibility for any action, claim, demand, loss (including consequential loss) and/or cost (including legal cost) however caused (including through negligence and/or wilful misconduct) which you may directly and/or indirectly suffer and/or incur in connection with your use of and/or reliance on:
- the Web Site;
- any Linked (as defined below) web site; and/or
- information accessed at and/or through the Web Site and/or any Linked (as defined below) web site,
whether or not legal proceedings are instituted.
- if the breach relates to goods:
- the replacement of the goods or the supply of equivalent goods;
- the repair of the goods;
- the payment of the cost of replacing the goods or of acquiring equivalent goods; or
- the payment of the cost of having the goods repaired; and/or
- if the breach relates to services:
- the supply of the services again; or
- the payment of the cost of having the services supplied again.
You will ensure that your access to the Web Site is not illegal and/or prohibited by laws which apply to you.
You will not provide Links (as defined below) to the Web Site from any web site that contains content that:
- will subject us to an action for defamation, intellectual property rights infringement and/or a breach of any law; and/or
- is not in conformity with accepted standards of public decency and good taste.
You will take your own precautions to ensure that the process which you employ for accessing the Web Site does not expose you to the risk of viruses, malicious computer code and/or other forms of interference which may damage your computer system.
Whilst we have no reason to believe that any information contained on the Web Site is inaccurate, we do not warrant the accuracy, adequacy and/or completeness of that information, nor do we undertake to keep the Web Site updated.
Responsibility for the content of advertisements appearing on the Web Site [including Links (as defined below) to advertisers’ own web sites] rests solely with the advertisers. The placement of advertisements does not constitute a recommendation and/or endorsement by us of the advertisers’ goods and/or services and each advertiser is solely responsible for any representations made in connection with its advertisement.
You release and indemnify us and/or our related bodies corporate, officers, employees, agents and/or contractors against all actions, claims, demands, losses (including consequential losses) and/or costs (including legal costs) directly and/or indirectly suffered and/or incurred as a result of:
- your use of Links (as defined below) to our content;
- your use of our content;
whether or not legal proceedings are instituted and, if such proceedings are instituted, irrespective of the means, manner and/or nature of any settlement, compromise and/or determination.
Intellectual property rights
Intellectual property rights in the Web Site are owned and/or licensed by us.
In consideration of being granted this Linking right, you undertake:
- not to bring into disrepute us, our related bodies corporate, our goods, our services and/or our officers and/or employees;
- to use active Links to our Material;
- not to use:
- any Links that provide a link to a web page or internet location that is part of the Web Site other than a Link to the home page of the Web Site or the home page of a subsidiary web site; and/or
- any method or mechanism of Linking, where it appears that the Linked Material is part of the web site containing the Link and/or the Linked Material is not part of the Web Site where it was originally located;
- not to use any process by which a web page containing our Material will be returned in the search engine results when a search is conducted for a competitor’s brand and/or identity and vice versa in connection with our Material;
- to use our Material in the form in which it is provided;
- not to alter, amend, redraw, distort, animate and/or tamper with any of our Material in any way;
- to retain any copyright and/or trade mark symbols that appear in our Material;
- not to use our Material in a manner that gives the impression and/or represents that any person, organisation and/or event is in any way related to, sponsored by and/or affiliated with us; and/or
- to comply, within a reasonable time, with any demand or request by us in relation to your use of our Material.
The Web Site may contain Links to other web sites. Those Links are provided for convenience only and may not remain current or be maintained.
We are not responsible for the content, privacy practices and/or other activities of Linked web sites.
Our Links with Linked web sites should not be construed as an endorsement, approval and/or recommendation by us of the owners and/or operators of those Linked web sites, and/or of any information, graphics, materials, goods and/or services referred to and/or contained in those Linked web sites, unless and to the extent stipulated to the contrary.
Unfortunately, no data transmission over the internet can be guaranteed as totally secure. Whilst we strive to protect such information, we do not warrant and cannot ensure the security of any information which you transmit to us. Accordingly, any information which you transmit to us is transmitted at your own risk. Nevertheless, once we receive your transmission, we will take reasonable steps to preserve the security of such information.
Termination of access
Access to the Web Site may be terminated at any time by us without notice. Our disclaimer will nevertheless survive any such termination.
Removal of content
Content posted to the Web Site may be removed at any time by us without notice.
You irrevocably submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of the State of Western Australia and the Commonwealth of Australia.
Privacy collection statement
We may collect personal information about you, including the information you provide upon registration and/or upon accessing and/or using the Web Site.
We collect this information for the purpose of:
- registering you as a member;
- providing services to you;
- unless you indicate that you do not wish us to use your personal information for this particular purpose by placing a tick in the adjacent box, providing you with information about other services we offer that may be of interest to you;
- facilitating our internal business operations, including the fulfilment of any legal requirements;
- analysing our services and customer needs with a view to developing new and/or improved services; and/or
- unless you indicate that you do not wish us to use your personal information for this particular purpose by placing a tick in the adjacent box, providing you with promotional information about us.
We may disclose this information to:
- a purchaser of the assets and operations of our business, providing those assets and operations are purchased as a going concern; and/or
- our related bodies corporate.
If the personal information you provide to us is incomplete and/or inaccurate, we may be unable to process your registration and/or be unable to provide you with the services you are seeking.
We are bound by the Australian Privacy Principles in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and Privacy Amendment (Enhancing Privacy Protection) Act 2012 (Cth) in relation to the handling of personal information. Where appropriate we will handle personal information relying on the media exemption, related bodies corporate exemption and the employee exemption in the Privacy Act.
We collect personal information when we provide our services to you. Generally we will tell you why we are collecting information when we collect it and how we plan to use it or these things will be obvious when we collect the information.
Use of Information
We usually collect personal information such as your name, email address, address, telephone number, and in some instances, your financial details. We collect information when you register as a member for our website services. We also collect information regarding the pages within our network which you visit and what you click on. As a general rule we do not collect sensitive information. However, if we do, it will usually be for the purposes of providing our goods and services and if the law requires us to, we will seek your consent to collect it.
We use your information to provide our services to you, to fulfil administrative functions associated with these goods and services, such as billing, to entering into contracts with you or third parties and for marketing and client relationship purposes.
We may share your information with other companies which are related to Community Newspaper Group Ltd. within and outside of Australia. We or they may also use your personally identifiable information to assist us in improving our products and services and any of us might be in touch to let you know about goods, services, or promotions which may interest you.
When we collect your information, we will give you the ability to indicate that you do not want us to use your personal information for disclosed secondary purposes. At any time, you may notify us of your preference on this issue by contacting us by any of methods as set out at the end of this statement.
Use by Third Parties
Community Newspaper Group Ltd. may disclose your information to its service providers and contractors in Australia or overseas to help us to provide and market our goods and services to you. If we do this we will take reasonable steps to ensure that they do not breach the Australian Privacy Principles.
Use of Aggregate Data
We may collect certain non-personal information to optimise our goods and services including our Web pages for your computer (e.g., the identity of your Internet browser, the type of operating system you use, your IP address and the domain name of your Internet service provider). We may use such non-personal information for internal purposes, including but not limited to improving the content of our sites.
Community Newspaper Group Ltd. may use personally identifiable information in aggregate form to improve our goods and services including our Web sites and make them more responsive to the needs of our customers. This statistical compilation and analysis of information may also be used by Community Newspaper Group Ltd. or provided to others as a summary report for marketing, advertising or research purposes.
Community Newspaper Group Ltd. strives to ensure the security, integrity and privacy of personally identifiable information of our customers. We use a variety of physical and electronic security measures including restricting physical access to our offices and firewalls and secure databases to keep personal information secure from misuse, loss or unauthorised use or disclosure. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be totally secure.
Any information posted on bulletin boards and/or communicated in chat areas becomes public information. While Community Newspaper Group Ltd. strives to protect and respect your privacy, we cannot guarantee the security of any information you disclose in a chat room or bulletin board.
Online Links to Third Party and Co-Branded Sites
Community Newspaper Group Ltd. may establish relationships with business partners that allow visitors to our Internet sites to link directly to sites operated by these partners. Some of these sites may be “co-branded” with our logo; however, these sites may not be operated or maintained by or on our behalf. These sites may collect personal information from you that may be shared with us. This Privacy Statement will apply to any personal information we obtain in this manner.
What else you should know about privacy on the internet
Please remember to close your browser when you have finished your user session. This is to ensure that others cannot access your personal information and correspondence if you share a computer with someone else or are using a computer in a public place like a library or Internet café. You as an individual are responsible for the security of and access to your own computer.
Whenever you voluntarily disclose personal information over the Internet, this information can be collected and used by others. In short, if you post personal information in publicly accessible online forums, you may receive unsolicited messages from other parties in return. Ultimately, you are solely responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your username and passwords and any account information. Please be careful and responsible whenever you are using the internet.
Procedures for access, correction, feedback, further information or complaints
If you wish to access or correct any personal information we hold about you please contact us as set out below. All requests for access to personal information will be acknowledged within 7 working days, we will response within 30 days our formal response to that access.
If you seek a response from us, we will let you know who will be handling your matter and when you can expect a response.
If we refuse your request for access or correction, we will provide our reasons for doing so in writing to you.
c/- Community Newspaper Group Ltd
Locked Bag No.2
Northbridge WA 6865