City of Swan refuses Millendon NBN tower plan

Stock image.
Stock image.

THE City of Swan has refused an application for an NBN tower to be built on Hardwick Road in Millendon.

The application, which was deferred by Council last month, had 12 out of 13 submissions objecting to the 40m-high tower.

Councillor Darryl Trease put forward a motion at Wednesday night’s council meeting that Council refuse the tower at the site, due to concerns over the adverse impact on visual amenity and was inconsistent with the City’s planning policy and the State planning policy.

Cr Trease said he understood telecommunication towers were “a necessary evil”, but thought this tower could be better located.

MORE: Singleton girl (17) dies after shark attack

MORE: Pet dog reportedly killed after car hits Thornlie home, man charged

MORE: West Perth boasts band of brothers 

He said the proposal would also directly impact resident David Hughes and his plans to build his “dream home”.

“It’s not fair and there are other options available,” he said.

“I don’t think anyone is saying we don’t want the tower; we are just saying we don’t want them in pristine areas.”

Cr Rod Henderson supported the motion and said the application did not stack up and should be refused.

Cr David Fardig said the tower was needed to improve coverage in the area and encouraged councilors to vote against the motion.

The motion was eventually carried 11-2.