City of Swan to make second decision on proposed Upper Swan clay pit

City of Swan to make second decision on proposed Upper Swan clay pit

A PROPOSEDclay extractive pit in Upper Swan will be reviewed at Wednesday night’s ordinary council meeting after the State Administrative Tribunal sent it back to council for reconsideration.

The application for a proposed extractive industry on Apple Street was refused by council at its April 12 meeting on the grounds it would have an adverse impact on the amenity of the local area and it was inconsistent with the provisions of the council’s adopted rural planning strategy.

Submissions on the proposal from nearby residents raised concern with increased traffic, dust and noise in addition to the further impact to the rural lifestyle of the area.

Resident Ann Winchester spoke against the application and said the impacts were real for residents.

She said if the proposal went ahead the applicant should pay for weekly cleaning for the homes that suffered from dust.

She said she had not previously complained about the current clay pits, but did not want more created near her home.

“We purchased our property four years ago knowing there were here, but we did not believe there would be more going through,” she said.

Matthew Gordan from Austral Bricks said if dust was a problem, cleaning services was something that could be looked into.

Council officer’s have recommended the council approve the proposal and forward the application to the WA Planning Commission for determination under the metropolitan region scheme.

MORE: Artist Kickett’s work made centrepiece of WA Police for Naidoc Week

MORE: Former Department of Child Protection worker on child sex charges

MORE: Swan Valley vital to WA tourism, says Tourism Minister

MORE: Tenant review website flags Perth rental properties as ‘dumps’