Dog perishes in Ellenbrook house fire, with damage estimated at $400,000

The Ellenbrook home that was gutted by fire.
Dog perishes in Ellenbrook house fire, with damage estimated at $400,000
The Ellenbrook home that was gutted by fire.

AN ELLENBROOK family’s dog has perished in a fire that gutted their house last night.

Emergency services were called to the Gibbney Way property at about 9.15pm, but efforts to save the house were initially delayed because of concerns a person was still inside.

As many as 20 firefighters tried to save the house after the person was located outside, but could not rescue the dog.

A Department of Fire and Emergency Services spokesman said the crew’s efforts were further hindered after the roof of the home collapsed.

A woman suffered minor burns in the fire, which is believed to have been accidentally started by a candle.

The damage has been estimated at $400,000.