AN Ellenbrook mother has expressed her anger over a local school’s failure to notify parents of an incident where a 10-year-old boy had been charged with allegedly sexually assaulting an eight-year-old boy.
The mother, whose children attended the same school as the accused, found out about the incident on social media two months after it happened.
The accused faced Perth Children’s Court yesterday after previously pleading guilty to charges of sexual penetration of a child under 13 and threats to kill.
It is alleged the incident happened at a local park at knifepoint in December last year.
The woman said she believed parents deserved to know what had happened.
“I found out on social media that this child was at my children’s school. I was horrified that they were being exposed to this without our knowledge,” she said.
“I understand that the school itself had no say in this as they were under pressure from courts and from the Education Department, but I do believe that we should have been informed on the decision to keep the child at the school, so we could make a decision based on how we felt and whether our children stayed at the school.
“I do not believe that my children are in any form of danger now he is not allowed back at the school, however I do feel that the school would need to inform parents if he was to return.”
An Education Department spokeswoman said the bail conditions of the child did not restrict him from attending the school.
“WA’s School Education Act guarantees the right of every child to an education, irrespective of a range of factors, which may include criminal charges,” she said.
“While the student was at the school, the school did everything reasonably possible to ensure the safety of all students.
“The Department of Child Protection and Family Support has informed the Department of Education that the child in court today won’t return to the school.”
The child will reappear at Perth Children’s Court on March 15 following further psychological assessment.