About 20 scouts and group leaders spent Saturday throwing out the melted remains of kayaks, camping gear, GPS trackers, sailing and other equipment.
The fire started in a recycling bin at Springfield Primary School on Thursday afternoon and spread to the nearby storage shed.
Scout leader Richard Hayman said the group were meant to spend the weekend camping at Ern Halliday Recreation Camp and sailing at Hillarys Boat Harbour, but had to cancel the trip.
‘It’s disappointing; this is five years of fundraising all gone,’ he said.
‘We’re waiting to hear back from the insurance company to find out how much is covered, but between us and the WA Scouts, we’re looking at being about $7000 out of pocket.’
Scout and Springfield Primary School Year 6 student Jacob Evans said he was ‘angry’ and ‘annoyed’ at those responsible.
‘I just knew that everything inside would be destroyed. When you looked at the damage to the side, the door was destroyed,’ he said.
‘That’s where the venturers scouts would hangout, I don’t know where they’ll go now.’
Principal Len Collier said it was lucky a second fire near administration did not cause further damage.
‘It could have been worse, that’s the bottom line,’ he said.
Mr Collier said the fire was ‘catastrophic’ for the scouts and damage to electrics would have long-term effects on the school.
The group has asked for donations of outdoor equipment to help them get back on their feet; call 0419 554 459.