A TODDLER has died in Princess Margaret Hospital after he was pulled unconscious from the swimming pool of a Carramar day care centre on Monday.
The two-year-old boy survived into Tuesday, but it was yesterday revealed he had died.
The WA Police Coronial Investigations Unit will prepare a report for the coroner.
The Department of Local Government and Communities began investigating the matter on Tuesday to ascertain how the boy accessed the pool area.
Earlier this year, Royal Lifesaving WA inspectors approved the security standards of the property’s pool enclosure.
The day care business, run in association with not-for-profit assistance provider Communicare, was shut down from Tuesday.
Communicare chief executive Melissa Perry said the pool was gated and secure at the time.
Family day care centres, which can host up to seven children, are permitted to have pools as long as they meet security standards.
“As you can imagine, our educator, the family and our staff are completely devastated by what has taken place,” she said.
The educator’s web advertisement on Gumtree said she had first aid, anaphylaxis and asthma certificates and regularly attended training sessions.
It said she was a diploma-qualified educator with 17 years experience.
Ms Perry confirmed the educator was first aid qualified.
A City of Wanneroo statement said family day care providers did not require planning approval and the City had no role in the registration or regulation of them.
A Department of Local Government and Communities spokeswoman said:
“It is the responsibility of every family day care educator to ensure children in their care are adequately supervised, and take every reasonable precaution to protect children from harm and any hazard.”