MORE floodlighting needed for night games and training on Kingsway Regional Complex Netball Facility courts could be provided in the 2017-18 financial year.
City of Wanneroo councillor Brett Treby said at a meeting this month increased demand on the 57-court facility could not be met without lighting on its eastern courts.
The resident club, Wanneroo Districts Netball Association, includes 514 junior and senior teams and about 4600 players.
The City redeveloped the courts in 2010 with a $2.4 million Federal Government grant, including $400,000 to replace floodlights on 27 western courts.
Cr Treby’s motion said growth in the association’s membership numbers meant there were not enough lit courts for night-time use.
“There is a need to respond to the increasing demand for players who are being turned away from using the netball court facilities,” Cr Treby said.
He said the regional facility was the best in the northern corridor and second only to Jolimont’s State Netball Centre.
“The Kingsway courts are extremely popular at peak weekend periods, with around 5000 registered participants,” he said.
“Due to this popularity, night competition and night training are very necessary because programming these courts has become hampered to some extent due to the availability of floodlighting or lack there of in part of the courts.”
Cr Hugh Nguyen, who lives about 100m from the complex, said the atmosphere at the courts brought “life and vibrancy” to the area.
“I’ve had the pleasure of speaking to the coach of one of the bigger clubs that uses the Kingsway facility, the Rangers Netball Club,” he said.
“It heartens me to hear stories of girls who have struggled with illnesses such as depression and how playing netball at Kingsway has given them a reason to keep on fighting, to learn important team skills and to be accountable.”
Cr Nguyen said a lack of lighting was preventing the courts from being used to their full capacity.
Cr Sabine Winton supported the move to “flick the switch” and get the courts working even harder.
“This is going to cost about $400,000… you’re talking about 378 participants at one time being able to use the facility,” she said.
“That sounds like a very good use of money when you think about providing recreational facilities.”
The City will apply for a small grant through the State Government’s sport and recreation facility fund in February, with the aim of completing the project in the 2017-18 financial year.
A petition for the lighting upgrade launched by Cowan MHR Luke Simpkins earlier this month1.9 has already attracted 230 signatures.
Mr Simpkins wrote also to State and Federal ministers on September 1 about supporting the project.
For the petition, visit www.surveymonkey.com/r/S9KXDKV.