Sandra Corcoran dashed outside after calls for help to find Liam beside his mother in the St Anthony’s School car park. ‘I took one look in his mouth and could see his throat swelling and knew instantly he was having an anaphylactic reaction,’ she said.
She scooped him into her arms and rushed him into the Wanneroo school’s office where her education assistant Michelle Broomfield handed her a first-aid kit and called an ambulance.
‘By the time I ran in the door with Liam in my arms he was no longer able to talk and his breathing was laboured,’ Ms Corcoran said.
‘Michelle handed me the Epipen, took Liam into her arms and held him while I armed the Epipen and administered the adrenaline.’
With no history of anaphylaxis, Ms Corcoran said Liam was lucky staff received regular anaphylaxis training including the use of Epipens.
‘Once Liam was talking again I settled him down next to his mum; she hugged me really tight and thanked me for saving her son,’ she said.
Liam fully recovered and attended the school disco the next evening to thank his teacher.
‘That’s when it really hit me’