Madeley takeaway applications rejected

Madeley Plaza.
Madeley Plaza.

APPLICATIONS for two takeaway food outlets at Madeley Plaza have been rejected by Wanneroo Council.

Most councillors voted against staff recommendations to approve two applications for tenants at the Russell Road shopping centre at their November 12 meeting.

One related to an outlet for Spanish and Italian cuisine which the council had rejected in July, prompting the applicant CF Town Planning and Development on behalf of landowner Rocco Antonio Nardone Conpec to appeal to the State Administrative Tribunal.

The other application was for a Turkish bakery, pizza and kebab outlet, which the council considered for the first time.

Neighbouring residents Peter Morellini and Brian Williams gave deputations prior to the meeting highlighting their concerns about the noise, odour and amenity impacts the takeaways would have.

Town planner Carlo Famiano also gave a deputation about the changes made to the plans to minimise the impact on neighbouring homes and asking the council to approve the applications.

“These types of uses are commonly found within a neighbourhood centre,” he said.

Only one councillor voted in support of the recommendations to conditionally approve both applications, with the rest voting against it because of concerns about how the takeaway operations would affect the neighbours.

Acknowledging broader community support for the takeaways, councillor Brett Treby said there had to be an “appropriate level of weight” given to how it would affect immediate neighbours, whose fences were 3m from the rear of the shops.

“The lifestyle in the backyard of an Australian home is almost sacrosanct,” he said.

Cr Domenic Zappa said the residential properties had been allowed on commercially-zoned land, resulting in residents having the shopping centre units abutting their backyards.

Shower delays water playground