Recalled Samsung Washer cause of Wanneroo house fire

The fire, at a home on Wiria Crescent, was reported at 9.45am on April 2 and caused $30,000 damage.

It was started by a Samsung washing machine, believed to be one of the models recalled last August due to electrical faults.

In February, Consumer Protection warned that apathy over the recall of Samsung top-loader washing machines was putting lives at risk, with only half the owners of affected machines responding to the recall.

The models subject to the recall were manufactured between 2010 and 2013 and 14,483 were sold in WA.

The affected units have an internal fault where condensation can penetrate an electrical connector, causing deterioration which may in turn cause a fire.

Consumer Protection Acting Commissioner David Hillyard urged consumers to check the model of their washing machine and take urgent action if it was on the recall list.

“This is not a matter that should be left to luck or chance, as it involves the safety of you, your family and other occupants of your house or housing complex,” he said.

“Affected WA consumers should discontinue use immediately, unplug it from the socket and organise to obtain a refund and the removal of the washing machine from their home as soon as possible.

“The machines should not be re-sold or placed on the verge for bulk rubbish collection, as we want to remove any possibility that they are purchased or picked up by people who may not realise the danger.”

Customers with affected models can call 1800 239 655 or email wm.samsung@samsung.com. Visit recalls.gov.au for more.