WANNEROO has changed a great deal since the first pioneers arrived.
The current town centre features the Wanneroo Civic Centre, Wanneroo Library and Cultural Centre, St Anthony’s Church, shops, the ECU Super Clinic and food outlets, but who remembers what used to be there?
The original St Anthony’s Church stood on Wanneroo Road, where there is now a fuel station, and opened in 1932, according to Wanneroo Regional Museum.
It was the first church built in the shire, with additions carried out in the 1950s.
The final mass in that building was on May 20, 2001, with the first mass in the Dundebar Road church held the same day.
The condition of the original building led to its demolition in 2009, despite a strong community campaign to preserve it.
Thanks to our national partners Canon Australia and Harvey Norman and our state partner REIWA.
#SnapPerth 2017 takes place on November 22. Snap a pic, share it on Instagram or Twitter and tells us what’s so great about your corner of Perth. Click here for more.