Solar panels catch fire at Edgewater house

Fire crews covered the solar panels.Picture: Josh Tucker
Fire crews covered the solar panels.Picture: Josh Tucker

A SOLAR panel system caught fire at an Edgewater house on Saturday, causing about $5000 damage.

The fire was reported about 3.35pm on November 7. Crews from Joondalup and Wangara fire and rescue services attended.

“They had it under control by 3.48pm,” a Department of Fire and Rescue spokeswoman said.

“There was fire in the solar control panel.”

The cause was accidental and was caused by an electrical fault.”

The spokeswoman said the fire was confined to the garage and damage was estimated to be $5000.

Photographer Josh Tucker said fire crews extinguished the flames with a carbon dioxide canister, and covered the solar panels with black tarpaulins until an electrician arrived.