The homes are being provided under the joint Federal-State National Rental Affordability Scheme (NRAS), which will add another 1000 homes to the 7600 it has already delivered in WA, by June 30, 2016.
The scheme aims to provide 20,000 of the homes, which can be rented at more than 20 per cent below private market rates, in WA by 2020.
‘The City of Rockingham and City of Kwinana are both high-priority locations under the assessment criteria for WA,’ the department’s market innovation and partnerships director Greg Cash said.
But Opposition Housing spokesman Fran Logan said it was ‘too little, too late’ for the growing numbers of families couch-surfing and sleeping in cars while waiting for public housing in WA.
By April 30 in the department’s Kwinana zone (Kwinana, Rockingham and Baldivis), 1158 applicants were on the public housing waiting list, 233 of these priority-listed.
‘What seems to have been forgotten is the dire need for emergency housing, particularly in the southern suburbs of Perth,’ Mr Logan said.
‘The extra 1000 homes are primarily for people who have a job and are looking for cheaper rental properties.
‘Applicants for these homes can earn up to $116,404 per year, which is not aimed at low income earners. Meanwhile, every night in the southern suburbs of Perth, we have families and singles who have no job or are on seriously low incomes, sleeping rough, in cars or with friends because the waiting list for emergency housing has blown out to a two-year wait and for a Homeswest home, applicants will be waiting up to seven years,’ he said.
According to the 2011 Census, 22.4 per cent of households in the Brand electorate earn a gross weekly income of less than $600, compared with 21.1 per cent of WA households, and just 10.7 per cent earn more than $3000, compared to 14.1 per cent in WA.
Greens Senator Scott Ludlam said pre-fabricated homes should play a part in solving WA’s housing and homelessness crisis because they were cheaper, faster to build and more energy-efficient.
‘For under $100,000, a two-bedroom house can be manufactured and installed,’ he said, adding that a prefabricated house in Perth was recently delivered in just 14 weeks.
Who is eligible for NRAS?
– Singles with an income between $45,496 and $56,870
– 2 adults $62,899-$76,624
– 3 adults $80,302-$100,378
– couple with one child $77,989-$97,486
– Sole parent with one child $62,943-$78,679
– Couple with two children $93,079-$116,349
– Sole parent with two children $78,033-$97,541
– Couple with three children $108,169-$135,211
– Sole parent with three children $93,123-$116,404
Where are the NRAS home being built?
– Quantum Housing Group Pty Ltd 20
– Questus Funds Management Limited 15
– Yaran Residential Investments Pty Ltd 32
– Questus Funds Management Limited 9
– Realty Capital Pty Ltd 10
– Yaran Residential Investments Pty Ltd 41
Kwinana Town Centre:
– Questus Funds Management Limited 20
– Quantum Housing Group Pty Ltd 14
– Questus Funds Management Limited 44
– Yaran Residential Investments Pty Ltd 14
– Quantum Housing Group Pty Ltd 13
– Questus Funds Management Limited 12