Another fire scare for residents

Fire fighter Jayden Storer in action and (inset) scenes from the fire. Pictures: Jon Hewson
Fire fighter Jayden Storer in action and (inset) scenes from the fire. Pictures: Jon Hewson

Several suspicious fires have started in the City of Kwinana since January, with the most damaging blaze a deliberately lit fire in Sloans Reserve in Leda that at its peak threatened homes and lives in Leda and Calista on January 23.

Friday’s fire burnt through more than 10ha of bushland just south of Kwinana Marketplace shopping centre in an area bounded by Gilmore, Challenger and Meares avenues.

Fire crews from across the region and helitacs battled the blaze driven by strong easterly winds that sparked spot fires in Calista, including several near an aged care home on Gilmore Avenue.

A Department of Fire and Emergency Services spokesman said it burnt a third of the bushland in the area.

He said three juveniles were apprehended following the fire but police did not confirm before deadline whether they laid any charges over the blaze.

A 12-year-old Orelia boy has been charged with Breach of Duty over last Friday’s bushfire in the Kwinana city centre. The charge is described as’ failed to reasonably ensure that fire/ignition source did/would not cause a fire that would not be controlled’. He will be summonsed to appear in court at a later date.

The DFES spokesman urged Kwinana residents to be vigilant.

‘Keep a lookout for anything out of the ordinary or any sign of suspicious behaviour and report it to Crime Stoppers,’ he said.

Kwinana Mayor Carol Adams told the Courier she was disappointed arsonists seemed to have no respect for the community.

‘One of Kwinana’s most attractive features is the bushland and last week’s fire was terrifying for many residents as it was so close to the shopping centre and the aged care home,’ she said.

‘I believe these offenders are just trying to seek attention and their penalty should reflect their actions.’

Police Minister Liza Harvey urged residents to report suspicious behaviour, with a $50,000 reward for information that helps convict an arsonist.

A 12-year-old Orelia boy has been charged with Breach of Duty over last Friday’s bushfire in the Kwinana city centre.

The charge is described as’ failed to reasonably ensure that fire/ignition source did/would not cause a fire that would not be controlled’.

He will be summonsed to appear in court at a later date.