Bathroom fan sparks house fire

Stock image.
Stock image.

AN electrical fault in a bathroom fan is to blame for a house fire in Waikiki last night, which caused $50,000 worth of damage.

Department of Fire and Emergency Services officers were called to the Halyard Way house just after 11.00pm.

It’s believed the fire started in the bathroom, which lead to the roof space being engulfed in flames.

Shortly after 11.40pm, crews were able to control the blaze.

Residents said they heard loud ‘cracking’ and ‘banging’ sounds.

“It sounded like a giant roaring sound; it woke up our whole family,” one resident said.

It’s unknown if the house is insured or if anyone was injured in the blaze.