IN what appears to be a backflip, the City of Rockingham is considering remediation works to fix dredging effects at Waikiki beach.
The announcement came two days after council’s January 20 meeting when Mayor Barry Sammels fielded questions from a packed gallery of angry residents.
Resident Mark McCarthy was at the meeting.
“With the answers council provided to my questions I’m actually more convinced now that the council did not do their homework on this project,” he said.
“The Mayor indicated he was still comfortable with his decision to go ahead with the project and dump the slurry on Safety Bay Beach, but that’s not the message I was getting from other councillors.
“I do hope council properly assesses the loss of amenity of this beach and takes some corrective action to remediate it.”
Mr Sammels conceded some rash decisions were made when approval was given.
“It was based upon the positive impacts of replenishment – not enough consideration was given to the colour and texture of the spoil and the impact it would have on the overall amenity of the beach,” he said.
“If beach amenity was given the same consideration as the coastal engineering benefits of replenishment, then it is clear that the spoil would have been removed from the site.”
He said since the complaints the decision had been reviewed.
“Too much weight was given to coastal engineering outcomes and not enough to the amenity of the beach and its impact on users,” he said.
The City will hold a public meeting today (February 3) to consult with the community on the plans for the Waikiki Beach post dredging project.
Mr Sammels encouraged interested parties to go to the meeting at 4pm at the Waikiki Beach Foreshore near the car park on Safety Bay Road opposite Malibu Road roundabout.