Man jailed after explosives found in Rockingham pedestrian underpass

Stock image.
Stock image.

A MAN who left undetonated explosives under a pedestrian underpass in Rockingham said he did it to protect the public from a ‘dangerous person’.

Brendan Michael McGuiness pleaded guilty to 18 charges including unlicensed possession of dangerous goods, utters a forged record, possessing cannabis with intent to sell/supply and unlicensed possession of firearms and ammunition.

The prosecutor said Rockingham council workers located 830g of explosive emulsion in a metal gas canister in the Read Street pedestrian underpass at Rockingham Centre on January 3, 2017.

A detonator had been inserted into the canister and a nine volt battery was also found with the items but was not connected.

McGuiness told police he ‘took the items off another person who he thought was dangerous and a risk to the public’.

More explosives were found at another place near bushland.

About 10m from the roadside 14kg of ammonium nitrate fuel oil was found in six separate containers that were buried in the sand.

McGuiness gave police the same explanation for those goods as he had for the items found near the shopping centre.

He also told police he had no intention of using the oil.

During several drugs searches police found several smoking implements, 466g of cannabis, a replica Glock, a gun cleaning kit, knuckle dusters and an extendable baton.

They also found a tactical vest with a dagger and four rounds of ammunition in it, and 50 rounds of .22 ammunition in a concealed/fake roof compartment at his address.

After three bail breaches the prosecutor requested the forfeiture of five thousand for each breach equalling a total of $15,000 forfeiture.

One breach he failed to report to police but later submitted a medical certificate.

A medical centre later confirmed that the medical certificate was false.

Unrepresented, he wrote a letter to the Magistrate and said he did not want an order or be eligible for parole.

Magistrate Vivien Edwards asked if he accepted the facts and had anything to say.

“Yes – apart from being ashamed and remorseful, that’s about it,” he said.

Magistrate Edwards said they were serious offences and there was a need for personal and general deterrence.

“As you requested I am not ordering parole or placing you on an order,” she said.

He was sentenced to 13 months prison backdated to his first remand in custody on December 27, 2017.

He was also fined $2000.

MORE: Uber to introduce up-front fare prices for Perth travellers

MORE: Warning for Bali travellers after second case of measles in a week

MORE: Perth and South West Easter weather: I’ve got sunshine on a cloudy day