Mandogalup residents turn up fight against buffer zone


Residents hang the banner over the Thomas Road bridge over the Kwinana Freeway during morning peak hour.
Residents hang the banner over the Thomas Road bridge over the Kwinana Freeway during morning peak hour.

MANDOGALUP residents turned their campaign up a notch in their fight against a proposed 1.5km buffer zone with a banner on the Thomas Road bridge over the freeway earlier this week.

Long-term resident Hubert de Haer said residents wanted the wider public to know about what was being proposed by the current state government before they cast their vote on election day.

“The State Government has tried to push through legislation to extend the current buffer with no landowner consultation or explanation,” he said.

“To find out that our land rights would be taken away and our homes to become worthless is unjust. We won’t give up the fight.”

MORE: Police search for a would-be-thief who tried to steal a tip jar that was screwed to a bench…

MORE: The augmented-reality app bringing dinosaurs and fairies to a southern suburbs park this month

MORE: Residents charged twice for underground power installation

Mr de Haer said the Labor Party was committed to abolishing the draft legislation if it won the election and had shown residents their full support.

Last Sunday, residents held a meeting for all candidates in the south metropolitan area to come and hear about the buffer and traffic issues and took them on a bus tour of the area.

The draft legislation is back in the hands of the Environmental Protection Authority for review and is not expected to make an announcement before the election.