A MAN driving a grey sedan in Port Kennedy approached a student and offered them money to get into the car last Thursday .
The incident was on Grand Ocean Boulevard about 4.10pm.
A report has been made to police.
A school notice was sent home to parents alerting them to the incident and encouraging protective behaviours.
Parents were urged to remind their children to take care when going to and from school, and to report anything suspicious to parents, school and the police.
Tips to keep children safe:
– Always travel in company
– Walk on the right hand side of the road so you face oncoming traffic
– Wherever possible, leave space between yourself and the roadway
– Stay in areas that are well lit
– Stay in view; avoid going into areas that are hidden from view (such as parkland bush or behind shopping centres) and plan trips to avoid such locations
– Be alert; earphones and headphones can reduce your awareness considerably
– If you have a mobile phone, have it turned on and ready to dial an emergency number
– If a passing car stops nearby, never get too close
– Do not hesitate to run from a situation in which you feel at risk
– Provide this advice to brothers and sisters, especially if younger
– Report suspicious behaviour to parents, school and the police, noting number plates of cars and/or clothing or distinguishing features of individuals: