MAJOR Fraud squad detectives have reiterated the importance of minimising the risks associated with using credit and EFTPOS cards.
The response comes after a viral Facebook post, which received almost 2000 shares, claimed that cards were being skimmed in Baldivis.
While Police said they were not aware of any incidents in the area, they said it was a timely reminder to be careful with your plastic and offered the following tips.
– Always ensure your card is swiped in eyesight;
– Always be cautious if asked to pass cards through more than one machine;
– Always ask for a receipt so you can reconcile your statement later;
– Always be careful to shield/cover your PIN when using an ATM;
– Look for anything strange about the ATM, take notice, look for unusual looking or loose fittings and notify your bank;
– Be aware of your surroundings and look out for anyone standing close by as they may be watching you enter your PIN;
– If you feel uncomfortable, cancel the transaction and use a different machine.
Police are encouraging any member of the public who believes they may have had their card skimmed to report it on 131 444.