Residents reminded to be safe

Department metropolitan superintendent Craig Waters has urged residents to take care in the final cool months to avoid a devastating house fire.

Since June 1, firefighters have attended 106 accidental house fires causing a combined $2.5 million estimated damage and injuring seven people.

Mr Waters said common causes of fires in winter were leaving stoves or ovens unattended and heaters positioned too close to clothing, furniture and other combustibles.

He said sometimes fires were started by children playing with matches and other ignition devices.

‘Simple ways to prevent fires are to keep all objects at least one metre from the heater, supervise children around any ignition devices or heaters, and never leave cooking unattended,’ he said.

‘There may only be a week left of winter but we know the weather can still be cool in September and we are urging everyone to be careful around open flames or when heating their homes.’