Rockingham: man accused of filming 12-year-old step-daughter denied bail

Stock image.
Stock image.

A MAN who allegedly filmed his 12-year-old step-daughter in the shower with a pen camera has appeared in custody at Rockingham Magistrates Court.

The man, who can not be named to protect the victim, was charged with indecently recording a child who was a lineal relative.

Represented by a duty lawyer he applied for bail.

She said the alleged offending happened between January 1, 2017 to December 11, 2017.

He did not enter a plea.

Magistrate Leanne Atkins asked to hear from the police prosecutor before making a decision on bail.

The police prosecutor said there were serious concerns for the victim and her mother should the man be released.

“He is the stepfather to the 12-year-old victim, police found a pen camera in an air vent above the shower,” she said.

“The camera was positioned so it could film the 12-year-old while she showered.

“The mother of the victim found the camera and images of the victim in the shower on the man’s mobile phone.

“She showed a friend who then went to her friend’s home and confronted the man, then police were called after that.”

The prosecutor raised concerns that the man had already tried to influence the victim.

“Police spoke to the victim and she said the man was going to make it up to her by paying for a trip to Thailand for herself and her mother,” she said.

“Detectives are still investigating the images on the pen camera and are expecting to lay further charges as a result.”

She said due to staffing in the child sexual assault unit the child could not be fully interviewed until Monday, December 18.

“If he gets bail he may be able to influence the victim over the weekend,” she said.

Magistrate Atkins said the man could still contact the victim by phone if he was remanded in custody.

The duty lawyer said he wanted to give his home address as the bail address.

“Yes there is a difficulty to obtain an address. I propose to put the bail application off for a short time,” she said.

Magistrate Atkins remanded the man in custody to re-appear Monday.

“I’ll leave it as a part-heard bail application,” she said.

MORE: Former Premier Colin Barnett retires from politics

MORE: Arsonists set fire to Hamilton Senior High School before last day

MORE: Wet and wild forecast for the weekend

MORE: Police investigate after child on tricycle hit by car