Workers lucky to be uninjured following Port Kennedy gas bottle explosion

A verge collection caught fire following a gas bottle explosion.
A verge collection caught fire following a gas bottle explosion.

A PORT Kennedy woman said it was lucky no one was injured after a gas bottle exploded during a verge side pick up on Tuesday.

The woman, who does not want to be named, said she was in the shower when she heard a loud explosion outside of her Endeavour Drive home.

She said the waste collection truck was forced to dump burning rubbish, that caught fire following the explosion, on the road.

Garden hoses were then used to put the fire out.

The woman believe a truck driver is lucky to be uninjured after he was hit in the chest following the explosion.

“It was awful and brought all the neighbours out,” she said.

“We are in a school zone, so it’s really lucky school was in.”

She said people need to think about what they are throwing out.

“It’s not hard at all,” she said.

“The workers are really lucky they weren’t injured.”

The City of Rockingham is reminding people that pressurised gas bottles and cylinders cannot be disposed of via their general waste verge collections.

In response to this incident, they are asking people to read a warning posted on the City’s website.

The warning states that gas bottles and cylinders are dangerous when compacted and may expose City workers – and the general public – to possible chemical and physical hazards.

Hazardous items can be disposed of at the Millar Road Landfill Facility.

Another option for safe disposal of gas bottles and cylinders may be returning them to the provider.

Barbecues that has previously contained a gas need to be made accessible for easy and safe inspection by collectors.