Thunder to lose Jetta for season

Leroy Jetta in action for Peel Thunder.        Picture: Jon Hewson
Leroy Jetta in action for Peel Thunder.        Picture: Jon Hewson

Jetta was part of the Bombers’ line-up in 2012 when the club ran its controversial supplements program.

He was delisted at the end of the 2014 season after playing 93 AFL games for the Bombers, and returned to his home state to play for the Thunder in 2015.

CAS upheld the World Anti-Doping Agency’s appeal of the AFL’s anti-doping tribunal’s not-guilty verdict.

Fellow WAFL players Cory Dell’Olio, from South Fremantle, and East Perth captain Brendan Lee were also at Essendon in 2012 and were among the banned players.

All three have been important players for their respective teams and were rewarded with state squad selection for WA last year.

Peel Thunder chief executive John Ditchburn has said the club would support Jetta, while South Fremantle chief executive Stuart Kemp released a statement expressing his disappointment that Dell’Olio was not able to play.

Dell’Olio played 16 games with Essendon between 2012 and 2014 before returning to South Fremantle last year.

“We are extremely disappointed with (Tuesday’s) outcome and in particular we are devastated for Cory who has been through so much already. We are still awaiting final confirmation from the AFL through the WAFL,” Kemp said.

“This has been a long, drawn- out process for him and we are unhappy that it has ended with such a significant suspension.”

WA Football Commission general manager, football affairs Jon Haines said in a statement there was significant detail still to be worked through.

“The WAFC will be seeking further clarification from the AFL over the coming days about implications for the WAFL and will be in contact again with WAFL clubs as more details are confirmed,” he said.

Other WAFL clubs could also be affected if Essendon search the league for top-up players to add to their list.