Additional security to be deployed at Claremont Showgrounds concerts

Additional security to be deployed at Claremont Showgrounds concerts

ADDITIONAL security will be deployed at Claremont Showgrounds during concerts after a growing number of safety concerns from residents.

Town of Claremont councillors voted on a councillor Alastair Tulloch’s motion at Tuesday night’s council meeting that a precondition to approval of a concert at the showgrounds be that security must be provided for each end of Second Avenue.

Residents of Second Avenue attended the meeting and said they had experienced ongoing antisocial behaviour because of concerts held at the Showgrounds.

Resident Professor Sarah Dunlop said she was frustrated about a lack of security during concerts and groups of drunken people without tickets walking along Second Avenue to gain access.

“This has resulted in damage to sheds, fencing, garden furniture and damaged roofs,” she said.

“I don’t care if it’s only one concert, one concert shouldn’t create that amount of damage.”

Resident Gwen Durack said she had been threatened by a group of women with bolt cutters who were trying to gain entry to a concert.

“They were obviously affected by alcohol or drugs and when I asked them to leave they threatened to hit me with (the bolt cutters),” she said.

An 18-year-old man was sentenced to eight months jail last week after kicking a security guard in the head at the Good Life Festival at the Showgrounds on February 22.

Cr Tulloch said the council needed to strongly support its residents.

Cr Jill Goetze said she supported the motion because it was extremely distressing for residents when properties were invaded and damaged.

“Knowing they are going to face this again and again must be terrible for them,” she said.

Cr Bruce Haynes spoke against the motion because he did not believe it would make a difference.

“The proposed solution cannot work and council has over the many years attempted to address this,” he said.

Cr Chris Mews said he believed it was time the council sent a message to the Royal Agricultural Society that this antisocial behaviour was not acceptable.

Mayor Jock Barker said he had met with the Premier and relevant Minister a number of times only for nothing to be done.

“The RAS should move to a better location and the State Government needs to see there is about $1 billion worth of land sitting there and used very infrequently,” he said.

Councillors approved the motion 8-1.