‘We live in a democracy, you are free protest, but I urge people who hold your view not to engage in any illegal activity,’ Mr Barnett told #NoWASharkCull activist Simon Blears on radio last week.
Mr Barnett urged activists not to take unnecessary action after claims of death threats against cull contractors and an attack on his electorate office by a protestor opposed to the proposed killing of up to 25 great white and 900 tiger sharks in the next three summers.
Mr Blears said activists had informed police and authorities, but now ‘the gloves were off’ as the Government pushed to kill tiger sharks not linked to the great white attack spate prompting the cull.
‘We are not going to burn down buildings and bash people up,’ he said.
Polls shows two-thirds of WA residents oppose the cull, which the Environmental Protection Authority will assess after public submissions close next Monday.
#NoWASharkCull founder Natalie Banks said she understood why activists would take action after no Government response to protests, science disproving the cull and no logic behind killing tiger sharks not linked to attacks.
Ms Banks said WA’s majority still wanted the cull stopped and if ‘gloves off’ was a threat then people should ‘take another look at what the Government is saying and it’s spin’ when violence or illegal activity was never endorsed in the past six months.