Carpark project stalls

A CONTROVERSIAL Forrest Street carpark redevelopment has been suspended after the project�s initial budget blew out and councillors planned a revocation motion.

Subiaco Council awarded Advanteering Civil Engineers the $574,609 tender to start the first stage of civil works at a meeting last week.

However, chief executive Ian Hill yesterday said the project was on hold.

�Following a possible revocation motion and pending a review of the financial provisions for the proposed works, a further report will be considered at the next council meeting on April 21,� Mr Hill said.

Cr Murray Rowe, who initiated the revocation motion last week, said $100,000 to demolish two buildings on the site was initially part of the first-stage budget, but was instead carried out separately.

�The decision we made last week just didn�t add up, so Ian has some work to do on internal checking and accounting,� Cr Rowe said.

�To be honest, I am relieved this is on hold because I would like to see a review of the whole project.

�This will end up costing $1.5 million, and we�re only talking about creating seven new car bays.

�We are about to have hundreds of bays disappearing from the city centre when Ace Cinema is demolished next month, 99 bays from Pavilion Markets and parking from the Seddon Street developments when they begin. This is absolutely the wrong time.�

Cr Mark Burns said the budget bungle meant the first stage of works had gone almost 35 per cent over budget.

�To be spending millions of dollars on a secondary carpark when Rokeby Road and its retailers suffer the blight of 20 years without having a cent spent on it is an outrage,� Cr Burns said.

At the meeting, Cr Scott Arbuckle said the carpark was an eyesore that needed urgent attention.

�This plan has been worked to death within an inch of my patience,� Cr Arbuckle said. �If this motion doesn�t succeed, I will lose all confidence in this council�s ability to make a decision.�