CLAREMONT’S St Quentin Avenue town square will be partially covered in changes requested by the Claremont Quarter shopping centre and approved at the council last night.
The changes will also include a contentious 7m by 4m LED screen.
“The screen is probably in a better place than the one approved by the JDAP last week,” Cr Paul Kelly said.
The Quarter wants to refurbish the square with a partially-covered canopy that has transparent and solid sections, new lawns, trees, a 50m balcony and an access ramp.
It also asked for its laneway on the north side of the centre to be roofed for all-year weather protection, a 30m balcony and a new entry at its end on Gugeri Street.
The improvements follow a trend of covering outside areas at Perth shopping centres which are attempting to be socialising and entertainment areas, in addition to providing shopping.
Cr Kelly and Cr Bruce Haynes both voted at the JDAP against a similar screen to be used for advertising hoarding at the intersection of nearby Bayview Terrace and Stirling Highway last Friday.
Cr Haynes said a screen at the square could be a “Trojan horse” for more advertising because it could be seen from St Quentin Avenue.
However, a staff report said the centre wanted to use the screen for broadcasting its own events, such as fashion shows, and the Melbourne Cup.
“The applicant has specifically confirmed no third-party advertising will be displayed,” the report said.
The screen would also be obscured by current trees and could provide a benefit to residents by broadcasting local events.