Cricket: former England international turned Subiaco Floreat coach cops four-game ban

Subiaco Floreat under-17s coach Dermot Reeve pictured in 2000. Photo: Getty
Subiaco Floreat under-17s coach Dermot Reeve pictured in 2000. Photo: Getty

A FORMER England international is one of two Under-17 cricket coaches suspended until the 2018-19 Ted Hussey Shield season.

Subiaco Floreat coach Dermot Reeve, a veteran of three Test matches and 29 one-day internationals for England between 1992 and 1996, and Scarborough coach Craig McPhee were both charged with level six offences following an incident in February.

The pair clashed when their two teams met for an Under-17 Premier Cricket match at Abbett Park West in Scarborough.

Western Australian District Cricket Council chairperson Christian Bauer said the incident was sparked by a disagreement over an umpiring decision.

Mr Bauer said it escalated into a verbal confrontation and “a pretty heated exchange”, but said it did not turn physical.

Under the Western Australian District Cricket Council’s code of conduct the two men were charged with level six offences, which relate to “behaviour unbecoming to a player or official that could bring them or the game of cricket into disrepute or be harmful to the interests of cricket”.

The matter was referred to a tribunal, which delivered a four-match ban to both coaches, with a further two games suspended.

Mr Bauer said the penalty – which was handed down by an independent tribunal – sent the message “this behaviour is unacceptable”.

In a statement, Subiaco Floreat Cricket Club president Glyn O’Brien described Reeve as a dedicated and experienced coach “who has held himself impeccably at his time at the (club)”.

He said Reeve had been the “unfortunate victim of a verbal attack”, an incident which ultimately led to the hearing.

“In the opinion of the club, Reeve handled himself professionally and appropriately during the incident but unfortunately has been found guilty by the WADCC tribunal of an offence,” he said.

“The Club is currently pursuing its options to clear Reeve in relation to the matter.”

McPhee served the first of his penalties by missing Scarborough’s final game of the season, a win over Gosnells, on March 3.

Reeve has served half his penalty.

He missed his side’s last regular-season fixture and Subiaco Floreat’s semi-final loss to Melville.

Both sides are now out of the competition.

The Scarborough Cricket Club was sought for comment.

MORE: Maddington man charged with deprivation of liberty, assault of woman

MORE: Armadale woman charged with 75 fraud offences … since January

MORE: Mitchell Freeway shutdowns from Sunday – here’s what you need to know

MORE: The fun police are coming for the humble sausage sizzle