Gowns spared in fire

Hob Nob owner Irene Davies is relieved that customers’ gowns did not go up in smoke.Pictures: Caitlin Tiller
Gowns spared in fire
Hob Nob owner Irene Davies is relieved that customers’ gowns did not go up in smoke.Pictures: Caitlin Tiller

HOB Nob owner Irene Davies says she feels lucky despite smoke damage from a fire causing about $300,000 damage to her bridal shop in Highgate early yesterday morning.

Police believe a wheelie bin was set alight at the back of the premises before 12.25am yesterday morning, causing up to $50,000 damage to the building.

A police spokeswoman said the fire was considered suspicious and the Arson Squad was investigating.

West Perth resident Mrs Davies said police called her at 12.30am.

“When they told me it was $600,000, I visualised most of the shop was gone, but as long as my brides’ dresses are safe, that’s all I thought about.”

“It’s dreadful – I would have been a mess if we’d lost customers’ dresses.”

Hob Nob, which has been in Beaufort Street for nine years, did not have electricity by mid-morning yesterday.

Mrs Davies said she lost 10 new dresses worth $10,000 in total, which she was keeping as “emergency” gowns.