Men who led police on chase charged with Kings Park car thefts

Men who led police on chase charged with Kings Park car thefts

BELMONT men, aged 30 and 21, in a VW Golf allegedly stolen from Floreat, who were chased by police through western suburbs to Como, are also alleged to be linked to a spate of thefts from tourists’ cars in Kings Park in the past month.

Senior Sergeant Craig Davis said it would be alleged the men’s haul from three cars in the Fraser’s Restaurant carpark, and one at a carpark on May Drive, included a purse, coins, a medal and a handbag in a 90-minute spree until 11.50am on August 30.

The Golf was later seen in City Beach, before the police helicopter followed the Golf through City Beach, Scarborough, Floreat, Jolimont , Subiaco, West Perth, and South Perth to Como.

Police used the stinger deflation device during the chase in Floreat and Perth, before the men ran from the Golf when they abandoned it in Hovia Terrace, Como.

The men attempted to stop several motorists on Canning Highway, to potentially escape in their vehicles, before Kensington-based detectives arrested the men on the highway.

In the past three weeks, police have recorded at least 31 thefts from cars in Kings Park, including $10,000 taken from a car used by two Americans, and a combined $2400 and 3000 Rinngit taken in two robberies of cars used by Malaysian visitors.

Sgt Davis said it would be investigated whether the two Belmont men were connected to eight thefts from cars between August 25 and August 30 in the park.

He said since August 25, there had been no sightings of a Mitsubishi Prado and red Holden Commodore previously seen during robberies of cars in the park in the previous two weeks.

In Floreat, jewellery worth $22,485 was taken when the VW Golf was stolen from the Lyndon Guard home between 8am and 9am on August 30.

The jewellery has not been recovered, and it will be investigated whether it and the Golf’s theft are connected to thefts from three cars in nearby Camel Lake Park, City Beach on August 29.

The thefts led to attempts being made by two men to take a Lexus Hybrid from a Congdon Street, Cottesloe home about 2pm, August 28.

“We are looking into all events in the area recently, as it’s a possibility there are links,” Sgt Davis said.

The 29-year-old man was charged with 17 offences including car theft, driving recklessly, eight counts of stealing, and the other man was charged with car theft, possessing unlawfully obtained property and six counts of stealing.

Both have been remanded in custody to reappear in court at a later date.