The Town of Claremont last week approved an application from owner Michael De Marte to make way for 12 tables with 24 seats and five planter boxes on the verge.
Councillors eventually supported the officer recommendation after rejecting Cr Alastair Tulloch’s alternative allowing for six tables and retaining the two bays for small cars.
Cr Tulloch said halving the number of tables was a compromise.
He said Pronto, the restaurant previously located at the site, succeeded with six to eight settings outside and six tables would still create an alfresco atmosphere on the strip.
However, Cr Peter Browne said allowing 12 was a ‘move towards making Bay View Terrace a more alfresco and pedestrian-friendly environment’.
Mr De Marte, who opened the eatery last Tuesday, will also avoid paying alfresco fees, as the Town has waived them until November this year when councillors will review the decision.
He approached new business group Claremont Now about adding alfresco dining to Nolita at its recent annual general meeting.
The group met again last week and appointed Sandy Harvey as the chairwoman.