TODAY marks one year since the arrest of alleged serial killer Bradley Robert Edwards – but little progress has been made in the legal proceedings since then.
The Kewdale man was charged with the murder of Jane Rimmer and Ciara Glennon on December 22, 2016.
Ms Rimmer, Ms Glennon and another young woman – Sarah Spiers – all disappeared from the Claremont area in 1996 and 1997.
The bodies of Ms Rimmer and Ms Glennon were found, but Ms Spiers has never been located.
Edwards was also charged with with two other attacks on young women – a 17-year-old in Claremont in 1995, and an 18-year-old in Huntingdale in 1988.
The announcement of the arrest was made by then Police Commissioner Karl O’Callaghan at a packed media conference on December 23 last year.
Since then, Edwards has made three court appearances, but little progress has been made in the legal proceedings.
On January 25, Edwards appeared briefly in court via videolink from Hakea Prison where he was composed throughout the brief proceedings.
Prosecutor Carmel Barbagallo requested an eight-week adjournment at Perth Supreme Court to supply further documentation to the defence.
Another brief appearance followed on March 29, with the case adjourned until October 25 for a committal mention.
But on the eve of that appearance, it was revealed that date had been vacated and the committal mention had been pushed back until February 28.
In January, Community News spoke to Ms Rimmer’s sister Lee, who said the tragedy of her sister’s death would always impact her.
“It’s 21 years this year, and it has impacted us a lot,” Lee Rimmer said.
“I suppose we’ve all dealt with it in our own ways and when it happened we were all quite a close knit family.
“Over the years, we’ve moved to different places and in some ways gone our separate ways.
“It impacts your life every single day and it’s always there.”