Kate and her family moved from their Bunbury home into RMH on June 4, 2011 when she was diagnosed with Stage 4 neuroblastoma.
The Drennans spent 14 months living at the house in Subiaco while Kate underwent treatment at Princess Margaret Hospital.
Armed with her miniature shovel, a healthy and confident Kate helped Health Minister Kim Hames and cricketer Adam Gilchrist’s son Archie (7) officially commence construction of the new RMH.
The house will be completed by building company Doric in late 2015 to stand alongside the new $1.2 billion Perth Children’s Hospital.
RMH executive officer Alison Salmond said it had been a ‘long and challenging road’ for the Stronger Together campaign to raise the ‘truly amazing’ $22 million.
‘Our business is caring for seriously ill children; it is a daunting but exciting challenge,’ Ms Salmond said.
‘There is not a single person here today who has not played an integral part in our journey.’
Dr Hames said the State Government contributed $8 million to the project through a Lotterywest grant.
‘The new Ronald McDonald House will provide three times the space of the current house and will help up to 1000 families every year by offering a sanctuary of support and place of comfort,’ he said.
‘Acting as a home-away-from-home, it will feature 47 family rooms capable of accommodating up to 180 people on any given night.
‘It will also include new facilities such as isolation units, a dedicated learning centre, a recreation centre and larger communal areas.’
Mel Gilchrist, reading on behalf of her husband, RMH ambassador Adam, said: ‘There will truly be miracles happening on this land.’