Subiaco: Coles fire causes $400k damage

Stock image.
Stock image.

A FIRE that started in the basement of a Subiaco shopping complex caused about $400,000 damage overnight.

The blaze began in a switchboard at the complex that houses Coles supermarket on the corner of Station and Hood streets about 12.10am.

A Department of Fire and Emergency Services spokesman said it was not a “razing” fire, with the damage “purely” caused by “a lot” of smoke.

“It took crews a long time to figure out where the smoke was coming from,” he said.

Three crews attended the incident, which was closed about three hours later.