SOME of the state’s best and brightest young artists have been recognised at the City of Subiaco’s 16th annual Shaun Tan Award.
The Academy Award-winning artist was represented by his parents at a ceremony on Monday night at Subiaco Library and spoke to the finalists via a video recording.
“In art, everyone is running a different race; we are never on the same track, in the same room or even in the same universe,” Mr Tan said.
“Childhood is arguably the ultimate artistic laboratory.”
The artist praised a number of outstanding works, and encouraged everyone to “take care of [their] young instincts”.
Over 1500 entries were received for the competition from all over Western Australia, with a number of works on display to view at the library until this Sunday.
1. Jasper Rimmer, Best Rabbit Ever
2. Emma Wroth, Jellyfish
3. Sam Clarke, Sam’s Transformer
1. Eryn Richards, It wasn’t me
2. Jack Mayo, Obedience
3. Samantha Yang, Quiet Street
1. Sarah Choo, Self portrait
2. Angela Lodis, Wise Owl
3. Ben Morris, Feed Me
1. Luna Yan Cun Yang, Waggles
2. Jia Ning Li, Blue Tongue Brother
3. Heidi Hill, The show mustn’t go on
1. Wendi Zeng, Tranquillity
2. Darcie Richards, The Generation Gap
3. Isabella Holmes, Never tear us apart